This week we’ve included some Frequently Asked Questions to help you decided when and why you might need an electrician to carry out work for you in your home or office:


Q. We are a business, do we need to have our electrics tested?

A. As a business it’s a requirement that you provide a safe place to work for your employees, the ‘Electricity at Work Regulations 1989’ should be adhered to and installations should be under planned maintenance.You could find it difficult to get insurance if it’s not.


Q. I’m a homeowner, there are no laws that say my electrics should be tested, why do I need to?

A. Inspections of domestic installations isn’t the law, but they should be inspected every ten years, minimum. It’s important for this to be done to make sure that you and anyone else living with you is safe by minimising risk. If you ever plan to sell your home it will also be a smoother transaction if you’ve had your electrics regularly maintained and inspected.


Q. Should I replace my fusebox?

A. As with many aspects of electrics, it’s important to get them regularly inspected to ensure they are safe and can be maintained or updated as necessary. At the very least, you should make sure you have RCD protection to socket outlets under general usage. If you don’t have this or have any other questions about your fusebox, get in touch and we’ll be happy to talk through options with you.


Q. Why should I use a registered electrician?

A. You should use a registered electrician for the same reason as you would use anyone who is an expert in their industry. Someone who knows what they are doing and belongs to an approved organisation means you can be sure that the job is being done by people who are compliant, and regularly inspected to make sure they reach the standards required by the organisation they are part of. It’s for your peace of mind.

Comments for this post are closed.